Texas State Style Guide
Our Digital Brand
Our web identity is built on a living design system and leads with the principles of accessibility and usability for every visitor. We are Texas State University.
The Texas State website exists for the benefit of the entire university community: students, faculty, staff, and guests. Texas State is committed to an inclusive education and work environment that provides equal opportunity and access to all qualified persons. Texas State, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Technology and our interaction with it continually evolves and, as a result, the way Web content is accessed and consumed changes rapidly. Following the concepts of Universal Design (creating spaces and tools usable by the widest range of people possible) ensures the accessibility and usefulness of university websites for both current and future users.
Universal Design Concepts:
- Equitable – all users should have access to the same content and actions, regardless of how it is accessed (e.g., mobile device or screen reader);
- Flexible – avoid rigid assumptions about content layout or text and image sizes;
- Simple and Intuitive – complex or dense content can be difficult to take in, especially on small devices;
- Perceptible – design content so that the most important information is easy to find;
- Tolerant – minimize the chances for user error;
- Low Effort – minimize the amount of clicking, typing, or searching required to find information or perform a task; and
- Size and Space – layouts should automatically resize and reflow to fit their viewing device.
Following the industry standard best practices for web design and development helps ensure universal access. All university website creators shall adhere to these best practices.
Read all of the University Policy and Procedure Statements on University Websites.